The Energy Detective Forums
December 22, 2014, 06:17:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New TED Support forum launched!!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Google Shutting Down PowerMeter on Sept 16, 2011
myeh

« on: June 25, 2011, 12:19:02 AM »

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2011/06/update-on-google-health-and-google.html

Are there any plans to replace it with something comparable?

Perhaps Micorosft Hohm?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 02:28:38 AM by TedDev » Logged
TEDMarketing
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 12:39:51 AM »

Thank you for your comment!  Yes, we have many exciting alternatives to the Google PowerMeter, which can be found here: www.theenergydetective.com/google.

As Google announced today on their blog, Google PowerMeter will be discontinued this September 2011.  
Google will be sending an e-mail shortly to ALL Google PowerMeter users, which will direct them to this page: www.theenergydetective.com/google.

The good news is that Google will provide each customer with detailed instructions on how they can download and save their Google PowerMeter data.  Google will also redirect all of their customers to our landing page, which offers a wide variety of exciting Google PowerMeter alternatives, most of which are completely free to the customer.

If you are a distributor, please note that some of these applications (such as MyEragy Pro) allow you to view all of your TED customers on one dashboard, as well as individually. This will serve as an exciting tool to view your TED installations collectively.  Additionally, we have released a Developer API for TED AggreData (listed on the bottom of www.theenergydetective.com/google ) which will result in more developers creating applications for our distributors.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 12:53:15 AM by TEDSupport6 » Logged
dane1234

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 01:27:54 AM »

I just received this e-mail from GPM:

Dear PowerMeter User,

We first launched Google PowerMeter as a Google.org project to raise awareness about the importance of giving people access to their energy information. Since our launch, there's been more attention brought to this issue, and we're excited that PowerMeter has helped demonstrate the importance of access to energy data. However, our efforts have not scaled as quickly as we would have liked, so we have decided to retire PowerMeter.

You will continue to have access to the product until September 16, 2011, after which time you will no longer be able to access your PowerMeter account. We know that having access to your energy information has helped you save energy and money. There are many options available for you from our device and utility partners. Please visit this page to learn more: http://www.google.com/support/powermeter/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1342532

We also understand that having your historical energy data is important to you. We've made it easy for you to download your data. To export your PowerMeter data to a CSV (Comma Separated Values) file, log in to your account and go to "Account Settings." More information can be found here: http://www.google.com/support/powermeter/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=164264

We appreciate your understanding and hope that you've enjoyed using Google PowerMeter. If you have questions about this announcement, please visit our FAQ pages at http://www.google.com/powermeter/about/faqs.html

Thank you,
Google PowerMeter team

2011 Google Inc. 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043

You've received this mandatory service announcement email to update you about important changes to your Google PowerMeter account.

Well, it's just as well; GPM had started acting weird at the end of April, even though no changes to my T.E.D. or computer, and I spent many hours trying to diagnose the problem.  I finally gave up about a week ago, and removed the GPM tool from my Google page.  My T.E.D. 5002C continues to work flawlessly.
tazer

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 02:05:14 AM »

Same, just received it a few minutes ago.

Shame, because the interface was relatively lightweight and convenient.
stanar

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 02:08:41 AM »

Same here. I wonder how many users are on the GPM. If it is a considerable number, why would Google abandon this? I read that they also axed Health services.
stanar

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 03:08:07 AM »

Just tried to sign up with myeragy.com. and then myenersave.com. I am not impressed.....

Wonder how long these will be on.
dannyted

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 04:09:27 AM »

I plan on offering an alternative to google power meter soon.  I am actually looking for feedback of what people might want.  The link is http://energymonitorblog.com/myted5k-charts/ .  I am still working on the charts, but I also would like feedback as to what people want.  Currently the bar graph is not setup as an amount of watts per hour, I am in process of fixing this.  The colors of course are also not permanent, I just don't know what people would like to see.

Here is an attached live data image:

Update 6-8-2012 Survey Closed. Survey for those who would like to contribute their opinion on what they would like to see in logging.  https://spreadsheets1.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dG00R1NBOHpidjlFN291MDhoVmU5cVE6MQ
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 02:32:39 AM by dannyted » Logged

My Energy Blog - http://energymonitorblog.com
     --A site dedicated to discussing power saving information.

My Personal Blog - http://dannymullen.net

MyTed5000 - http://myted5k.com/danny/
     --Live Data from my ted5000

Like me on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/pages/EnergyMonitorB
JackRussell

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 12:58:55 AM »

Any replacement that requires that I have a server up and running 24x7 is a non-starter.  I guess what would be ideal is if they could modify the firmware on the gateway to make it possible to configure the name of the server where one can upload data, and provide an application framework that one can run on the server to receive the data.

On the whole, my feeling was that the Google software was more of a gimmick.  I can still connect to it locally with a browser and get all the data I could possibly want.
TedDev
TED Software Developent
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 02:19:49 AM »

I guess what would be ideal is if they could modify the firmware on the gateway to make it possible to configure the name of the server where one can upload data, and provide an application framework that one can run on the server to receive the data.

A lot of the solutions listed on our PowerMeter alternative page are hosting the server themselves. Also, any TED5000 firmware (after R400) already supports posting to any 3rd party system (see the developer's section of the forum for the technical specifications). AggreData is intended for those who want to run a server themselves, but 3rd party posting isn't limited to AggreData only. It will work w/ any 3rd party that can receive and parse XML. AggreData can also be used as a go-by framework for anyone who wants to develop their own system.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 02:28:05 AM by TedDev » Logged
JackRussell

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 11:12:39 PM »

A lot of the solutions listed on our PowerMeter alternative page are hosting the server themselves. Also, any TED5000 firmware (after R400) already supports posting to any 3rd party system (see the developer's section of the forum for the technical specifications).

It would seem that a firmware update is the next step for me.  Is it still the case that it resets the monthly totals when you re-flash?  I have version Gateway 383/Footprints 210 currently.  I can easily wait a week or so and update at the start of the next billing cycle..
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 11:20:05 PM by JackRussell » Logged
SherlockOhms

Sherlock

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 05:19:04 PM »

A lot of the solutions listed on our PowerMeter alternative page are hosting the server themselves. Also, any TED5000 firmware (after R400) already supports posting to any 3rd party system (see the developer's section of the forum for the technical specifications).

It would seem that a firmware update is the next step for me.  Is it still the case that it resets the monthly totals when you re-flash?  I have version Gateway 383/Footprints 210 currently.  I can easily wait a week or so and update at the start of the next billing cycle..

Yes the totals will need to be reset so best to wait till next day after your meter read date.
mknox

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 09:16:44 PM »

I have signed up for one of the alternatives, and it was fast and easy through TED's "Energy Posting" interface.

I am wondering, however, if TED would (or could) allow posting to more than one third-party host? Right now, you have to de-activate, then re-activate one at a time. These providers are new and who knows how long they may stick around (after all, Google couldn't even make a case). Plus it would be nice to evaluate a couple of services at a time and hedge your bets against one or more of the services pulling a "Google".

Is this something that could be considered in a future firmware release or are there technical limitations in the device?

Mike
TedDev
TED Software Developent
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 09:29:37 PM »

We will be removing PowerMeter Activation and support in the late-summer build which will free up space on the TED5000 for additional features. We are still determining what we will do w/ the extra space but additional 3rd party support is a possibility.
eagleye

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2011, 07:08:09 AM »

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2011/06/update-on-google-health-and-google.html

Are there any plans to replace it with something comparable?

Perhaps Micorosft Hohm?

Unfortunately, Microsoft Hohm has also sent an e-mail, conveniently, just a few days after google that the Hohm project is also being discontinued. 

I really liked the google powermeter to monitor my system easily from afar.
whmagill

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2011, 12:44:35 AM »

Lots of changes I see... Been running TED5000 now for about 2 years. So when I got the Google Power Meter notice, I decided I needed to check back in to the forums... It seems that I no longer had an account Sad and had to create a new one, even though I  had been on back in February 2011 and updated firmware and footprints ...

So now I'm looking at the various alternatives you posted ... starting at the top of the page with myenersave.com.

The "obvious" first thing I noticed is that it cannot possibly get the billing information correct.  It simply does not have the information necessary to do the computations. I'm guessing that they are using PECO's rate to compare as their base, but even that won't come up with the correct numbers.... sigh. 

One thing which I also noticed immediately --- the tell you to upgrade to R452 ... I'm only running R406... sigh. If it's not one thing, its another ...Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: